I can’t even begin to tell you how moist and flavorful this chicken is. My son exclaimed, “Mom, we have to have this for breakfast, tomorrow!” Try it out, it’s super easy.
4 chicken breast (thawed or fozen) mine were frozen
1 cup zest Italian dressing
1 packet dry sour cream and onion dip mix
2 cup water
Buns of your choice, I used toasted hot dog buns, because that’s what I had on hand, I think some fancy onion rolls would be great.
Cheese of your choice, shredded cheddar and Italian bend is what I used
Sauted onions and peppers, if you choose
1. Place chicken in crockpot, I just put mine in frozen, but if yours are thawed or fresh, use them
2. Pour over Italian dressing.
3. Mix water and dip mix and pot over chicken, too
4. cook on low for 6-8 hours. It will be falling apart!!
5. Toast buns, then stack cooked chicken and top with onions, pepper and cheese
6. Done. Enjoy!
I have not posted in quite a while, but this soup is worth the time to share! Share the goodness! It’s a creamy based vegetable, chicken and cheese soup with the addition of pie crust garnishes that add that special homey, comfort-food warmth! A few notes, I keep shredded chicken in the freezer from leftovers or even the already prepared chicken in the refrigerated section at the grocery store. This make it super easy to pull out and throw together. I think I might try turkey next time, even. Often when I make an actual chicken pot pie, ehem… I mean turkey, I stop by the local barbecue restaurant and buy some smoked turkey to use instead. So I may give that a try for this soup! I don’t always have heavy cream on hand and if I’m just throwing this together, I’ll just use equal parts milk or dilute some sour cream with a little water. Don’t let the lack of heavy cream stop you from trying this soup. On with the recipe already:
2 cups cooked chicken
1 Small bag mixed veggies
1 Medium Onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
3 Tablespoon butter
1/4 cup flour
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
1 pie crust
Preheat oven to 450
1. In large pot, melt butter, add onion, celery, and vegetables to soften
2. Sprinkle with flour, cook for one minute
3. Add chicken, broth, milk, cream, an red pepper
4. Heat for 10 minutes or longer to heat thoroughly.
5. Cut strips or shapes out of thawed pie crust bake for 6-8 minutes on a cookie sheet
6. To assemble, pour soup in bowl, top with cheese and crust pieces.