This is my grandmother, Lizzie Nell Morris’, recipe. I assume, by the name of this cake that at one point it had actual scotch in the recipe. But, I can assure you, that in my grandmother’s kitchen, this cake never contained any alcohol. This is the best chocolate cake ever. I mean EVER! If you like Chili’s Molten Lava Cake, give this recipe a whirl. It is even better!
2 cups Sugar
2 cups Flour
1 teaspoon soda
2 sticks butter, divided
1/2 cup vegetable shortening (like Crisco)
8 Tablespoons Cocoa, divided
1 cup water
1/2 cup + 6 tablespoons Buttermilk, divided
2 teaspoons vanilla, divided
1 Box Powdered Sugar, (3 1/2 cups)
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together flour, sugar and baking soda
- In a sauce pan, bring to boil: 1 stick of butter, 1/2 cup vegetable shortening, 4 Tablespoons of cocoa and water.
- Pour over flour and sugar mixture, mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup Buttermilk, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Grease and Flour 9x 13 pan
- Bake in 9×13 pan for 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Begin icing 5 minutes before cake is finished baking.
- In a medium sauce pan melt 1 stick butter, add 4 Tablespoons cocoa and 6 Tablespoons of buttermilk
- Bring to boil, remove from heat and add powdered sugar. (I put the powdered sugar in the mixing bowl then pour the chocolate sauce over and mix with the electric mixer.
- Add nuts and vanilla.
- Pour over cake immediately
If mine looks a little lumpy and uneven, that would be due to the fact that my oven is not level. I thought we had fixed that, guess not. Ohhh Honnneeeyyy!!